Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nonfiction

I recently finished THE YEAR OF LIVING BIBLICALLY by A.J.Jacobs. Jacobs decides to spend a year following all the rules and commandments in the bibles(Jewish and christian or old testament and new) no matter how strange or inexplicable. He is an agnostics and he explores whether this will bring him closer to a spiritual side. Firstly I will say that he is an excellent writer. I really enjoyed the flow of his writing. The Year is recorded in a diary type style which serves nicely to break up the stories by Biblical text as well as subject. I don't think I could undertake a task like this myself. He clearly has some OCD issues which he admits to in the text. But it does provide a understanding of some of the more obscure rules and maybe just gives you a different perspective with which to view religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment