Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Manic

I just finished the book Manic by Terri Cheney. It is a memoir of manic depression. I enjoyed the writing but most of the stories revolved around seducing men in a manic state. I really wish she would have gone into her family background a little better. I breezed through the stories though and really feel for what the author went through. I am not manic depressive myself but have met a few people who are and some of her stories are simply heartbreaking. I will say that certain parts of her story started to depress me greatly. I need to read something more uplifting because a lot of this book ends with despair.
I just started the book Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I recently started reading Vonnegut and am very interesting in getting to know his work better. I began with Cat's Cradle and it is a kookie story but so inventive. My friend Carol has really become a fan and she says for her it all started with Galapagos. I have ordered this book and a few others as per my book shopping weakness. I don't have the heart to recount my bookshelf yet but feel the need to do so soon. I started out the year so good but am starting to feel I am spiraling out of control. I think it is probably time to clean out some shelves and re prioritize my reading collection. I currently have 4 books on order. I have signed on to a 50 books in a year reading blog and I have currently gone through at least 30 this year but I really need to get ride of some books to make room on the shelf.

1 comment:

  1. I was so excited to see that you are following my book blog! I enjoyed reading through your blog, and added several "books I want to read" to my list based on your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete