Sunday, September 13, 2009

Patterson

I have recently taken up James Patterson novels. Mass market thrillers are not my usual read and I don't often spend time on authors that crank out several books a year. Sure I read an occasional King book but for the most part mystery/thrillers aren't my think. I actually got Honeymoon on audio cd to start. I have a 40 minute commute to work and thought an book might be nice for a change( I live in Maine and good radio stations are hard to come by). I found myself almost to engrossed in the story to drive. Later a coworker who is a big fan of Patterson's claims that is one of his best books and I was glad to start with that. I decided to sample more and picked up 1ST TO DIE which is the first in his women's murder club series. I enjoyed this book almost as much as Honeymoon. I still have small problems with the cop thrillers as a whole. Some plot points seem a bit contrived but I was kept guessing to the end although I don't think the story itself was very probable. I am going to continue reading his books. I have ordered the second women's murder club series from paperbackswap.com and am going to slowly work my way through his other series. The problem I have with authors like this and the entire genre itself is that if I read to many in a row they all seem so similar and formula driven after awhile. I'm certain that as long as I mix in a good portion of my regular fiction and non-fiction choices I won't get bored to easily with his work. It certainly is easy to locate especially in used form. The most appealing thing about starting his work from the beginning is the amount of mass market paperback editions available will save me a bundle. I definitely think his works are worth reading. I have to hand it to Patterson because they all seem to be engrossing page turners and with short chapters its double easy to keep squeezing in a few more pages and chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment