Saturday, November 7, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

I have been reading a lot about this movie lately. It seems to be one of those films that people either love or hate. I gladly went to see it and will never be sorry. I have a great lingering fondness for the book this movie is based on. In fact I always liked this book more than my children did. I don't consider this a children's film. Max Records,the child who plays Max in the film is mesmerizing. The camera loves this face and you can't stop watching him. I related to the fact that the wild things expressed a child's emotions and imagination. This is how it should be because after all this whole experience truly takes place in a child's imagination. The fact that the wild thing characters aren't complicated is as it should be. They are after all figments of a child's imaginary world and feeling. Based on that you should expect the pouting,anger and violent play. The time Max spends with his family is just as engaging as his time with the wild things. Any person who has children themselves can empathise with Max in this film. We have all watched our own children express these same emotions. I say bravo to Spike Jonze for going ahead with his vision and making a memorable film that feels like a revisit to childhood, maybe your own,maybe your child's. See the movie and view it in the spirit it was intended.

1 comment:

  1. I have missed your posts! You haven't given up on blogging, have you?

    ReplyDelete