Friday, October 2, 2009

Desert Island Question

I have recently been pondering the question what three books would you take with you if marooned on a desert island?
Unlike most people a question like that really gets stuck in my head as if my life depended on the correct answer so needless to say I have actually been thinking on this for a long while. The other day I had a small epiphany in regards to an answer. I have often wondered should I take survival books, or my favorite books, or complete collections by authors( also would that be cheating). I realize that I won't really be marooned on an island with these books so it doesn't really matter what I answer but it still keeps me up some nights. I was debating with myself if I brought my favorite books would they then become boring because it is all you would read for perhaps years when I started to wonder just how much time would one have to read on a desert island anyway. I have definitely decided one book that would be absolutely necessary must be a dictionary. The most complete dictionary possible. I think that if alone constantly with lots of work to do a dictionary it the greatest thing to read. Keeping the mind occupied learning new words and eventually using it to write your own tales would be a better use of time than a novel that will be soon memorized. I remember as a child looking through our family's dictionary. It was a fantastic thing filled with words and maps and lists of presidents and pictures of places and planets and other wonders. I'm not sure where that dictionary came from but I spent a lot of time with it and constantly wish I still had it for my own children's needs. So I have settled one book in my mind and now I just have to decide what the other two could be.........

No comments:

Post a Comment