Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Martin Luther King Day! We got at least a foot of snow last night and my husband is out plowing before I have to leave for work this afternoon. One great thing about a snow storm is it gives me more time to relax and read. I just finished another book last night. THE BRIEF WONDROUS LIFE OF OSCAR WAO by Junot Diaz. I don't have to worry about taking a spanish dictionary to work with me because I finished it in 2 days. I pretty much gave up on looking up the spanish words intermingled in the story. I picked up the general idea anyway. I liked the story and it was an interesting incite into the Dominican culture. I'm not very fond of how the story ended and I did find some of the chapters a bit redundant. I also found some of the character skipping around a little confusing but it was a very interesting story( if it wasn't I wouldn't have finished it so quickly). On the whole I enjoyed the book and can see why it was popular when it came out. It definitely has a different flair than many other books.
I have started reading LIES MY TEACHER TOLD ME by James W. Loewen now. I need to mix a little nonfiction in for a moment. I am two chapters in and have learned a few things already. History was never my best subject at school and I don't have a great memory for names and dates but I love an interesting story fact or fiction. At this historical time in our current history it is nice to learn a few facts about our past.
Tomorrow is inauguration day. I don't know how much I will get done tomorrow before work because I definitely want to see some of the hoopla. Mostly I want to watch the swearing in not so much the star studded performances. If work isn't to busy tomorrow night I can probably watch some of it in the waiting room.

No comments:

Post a Comment