Friday, January 16, 2009

next book

I finished Duma Key last night and it was great. Stephen King never disappoints. I really do think that he must have worked through his accident writing this. I wonder if he summers in Florida. I live in Maine so I suppose it would be easy enough to find out. I do know that he is a huge Soxs fan and probably makes the trip to spring training camp most years. So many people do. I have read his book Faithful about the red sox season. He has season tickets to all the games. It's kind of a long commute from Bangor but I suppose he takes the train and probably stays over in the city.

I started THE BRIEF WONDROUS LIFE OF OSCAR WAO by Junot Diaz. I'm not sure if I will like this although I heard it was good. The story is peppered in the beginning with Dominican phrases that I had to roughly translate with our Spanish/English dictionary. But that seems to be disappearing so maybe I won't have to much trouble. I don't mind looking up words it just makes it inconvenient to take the book out with me because I don't want to travel with the dictionary. I haven't read much today because I had to work this morning. It was 30 below when I got up this morning! I just barely got my car to start. I let it run for 15 minutes but my toes still went numb driving in to the hospital. I think if it is this cold again when I leave I will double up on the socks. My brakes didn't work to great, I guess the brake fluid was frozen but luckily there is no traffic here in Cornville. Especially at 5am.

I went to the movies Saturday afternoon to see Slumdog Millionaire. I loved it. I saw it at the Railroad Cinema. I was glad the movie won 3 Golden Globes because it really deserves the recognition. Even the slums of India are so vibrantly colored. Not only was this a great story but it really paints a picture of India. Beggars,thieves,prostitution.....still it shows that a person with nothing can still survive. Especially in this story even with nothing and no one the children seem to still find such simple joy in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment