Thursday, January 22, 2009

reading

Recently I read how more people are starting to read fiction. I wish more people would read anything at all. I always tell my children that the answers to everything are written down somewhere in a book and if you read long enough and varied enough you will gain all those answers. I share with them the fact that every movie, cartoon, tv show , and song lyric began somewhere as a written page. I don't think people appreciate just how much reading enhances their lives or how much reading you do each day. Menus, emails, tv guides, newspapers, signs, text messages.... why not books. I wish people could appreciate the feeling of sinking into a good story. The way everything else just tunes out and time slips away. I understand that tv can have a similar effect but not like reading. No noise, no commercials, just you and your limitless imagination and absorption. The imagination can still do what cgi cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment