Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lies My Teacher Told Me

Today I finished reading Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen. I'm really glad that I read this book because it really helped me to understand some of why the education system is so lacking in this country. It is sad to think that as a nation we are so insecure that we need to tailor our history to only reflect good on the past. I think it is a shame that we make our elementary and high school history classes so watered down and misleading. The worst part is that history classes are so boring as we all remember because the people making the text books don't wish to offend anyone. I would rather be taught the truth and allow students to engage in real discussions that maybe have no answers but just lead to more questions. I wonder just what we are so afraid of in our honest past. If we can't hold a mirror up to ourselves past or present how can we hold it up to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment